Saturday, January 31, 2009

2 for 1: Monday and Saturday

Things have been so busy, what with work and all, that I didn't have time to write up Monday's run.

The next step in the program involved 8-min runs with 3-min walks. I didn't feel quite up to that, so I did 7-min runs but with just 2-min walks. I did that 3 times (not having paid close attention to the directions--the 8/3 sets were just supposed to be done twice) after a long warm-up. I felt pretty good afterward. I didn't ice my muscles as soon as I got home from the gym, but I did get heat on them which helped too.

Wednesday, a winter storm hit, and the gym was closed. Thursday, more of the same. I did some core exercises, and that night ~10:30 I went out for a walk. There was so much light reflected off the clouds and the snow that it was quite light outside. The roads were pretty snowy/icy, so I didn't try to run, just walked almost a mile.

I didn't get to work out Friday either. I was going to go to the gym in the evening, but ran out of time, esp as I had plans to go this morning.

So I finally got to the gym again this morning. I wasn't sure at first what my workout was going to be. I did a 10-min warm-up on the elliptical and stretched a bit. Then started the next workout on the plan: walk 5, run 10, walk 5, run 5, walk 5. It went well. I felt happy running. It helped that there was lots of sunshine coming in the windows on one side of the track. :) There were some kids walking and running too; it was fun to see them run, but when they took off sprinting I felt suddenly slow! 2.1 miles, my walking was getting slow. After the 10-min run, it was almost harder to walk! I didn't have a chance to ice after getting home, just ibuprofen and icy-hot. We'll see how things feel tomorrow, so far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment