Saturday, March 6, 2010

Almost spring, almost finals.

Either I didn't work out for two weeks, or I forgot to log a workout. Yeah, just 1. I've been swamped with homework and lab reports. I'm reasonably sure I worked out at home last Saturday. I'd check my planner, but I already took out February (to minimize weight and space in my backpack, I switched to using the cover of my old weekly, spiral bound planner and a 1/2" set of rings, so I only keep 1 month at a time in there). Anyway, I'm pretty sure I did abt 25min of kettlebells: 10 2-handed swings, 10 cleans (each hand), 10 long cycle (each hand), and 10 snatches (each hand) -- x3. Then I did some lunges, squats, situps and pushups, and a couple other exercises. 3 sets of 10.


Monday I packed my gym bag for swimming, but ended up not going. There was just too much homework to get done in too short a time. I've been up till 1am a lot--usually directly related to being at school late (as late as 1130 even) doing hw. So I finally got to where I have a little time before the next thing is due and went to the gym yesterday.  I met a friend there. She went running outside while I started walking around the indoor track. I was going to try an elliptical, but the only ones available were the ones that make my foot numb after a while. At 1.5 miles, I saw my friend back in the gym, and she walked the last 1/2 mile with me. She walks fast! knocked 30 seconds off my 1st mile's time! Then we went and did some push ups and sit ups.

I BOUGHT NEW RUNNING SHOES! I ordered a new pair of Asics 1140s online. They feel narrower than my old ones, and the laces are a lot shorter! They feel comfortable enough after I've had them on for a bit, but they're another reason I didn't want to use the foot-numbing ellipticals. My neuroma is making itself felt more lately. (That's such a weird word: neuroma.) My old shoes are over a year old but only have about 200 miles on them. I'm not a high-mileage runner; especially now with these stress fractures.

Don't remember if I mentioned this year's Tri4Cure in June. Ran into A at the gym a couple of weeks ago, and she was telling me about the people she's convinced to do it this year. I said if it fell during the quarter break I could do it. And she said that since I can't run I could focus on the swimming and biking, but the other day, the physical therapist gave me a 4-day-a-week "walk" to "run" program to do on the elliptical for the next 5  weeks. I think I can substitute 1 day on a bike, but I don't know about the swimming. And that's assuming I can get to the gym 4 days a week to begin with! I haven't been to Crossfit in 3 weeks, and my waistline is noticing. (As I 'patiently' wait for the Ghirardelli brownies to cool in the kitchen, mmmm, they smell heavenly. Eh, what's that? DH is cutting them, and getting out the milk! Share!) At least
there are only 2 weeks left in this quarter, yay. (DUDE, he took THREE brownies!!)

Stress fractures suck. Thursday was a gorgeous day, above 40, sunny, and on my way home I thought "what a great day for a run! ...oh yeah. I can't run. Well maybe I can get DH to go out for a walk while I make food." He wouldn't go, and I realized I was wanting to live vicariously through him, being able to go out. At least he helped me with the food I was making (for a dinner at church, that I couldn't stay for, because I had to study for a test). I'm going to do my best to maximize the physical and minimize the mental during this next quarter break to give my brain as much rest as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment